[ExI] Fermi question, was is a FTL drive a dream

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Dec 24 20:07:19 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
Subject: Re: [ExI] Fermi question, was is a FTL drive a dream

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 08:51:44AM -0800, spike wrote:

>> Yes, there would be an absorption spectrum signature.  It doesn't just
dim.
> It dims in a particular way.  We have no known candidates for an
> MBrain. Or

>...While the nodes in the cloud are low-albedo, it's going to feed back
some energy into the star. In that it would be no different than a dusty
protostellar accretion disk, other than the star would be mature, and
particle size distribution and composition very different...

Amara Graps could perhaps straighten me out, but I understood that star dust
will form a disk always, as opposed to a spherical dust cloud.

>> a Dyson swarm.

>...Both are exactly the same thing.

Again perhaps I misunderstood.  Is not an MBrain a subset of a Dyson swarm?
A particularly well organized and intentionally interconnected version, a
specialized unified and self-aware Dyson swarm?