[ExI] free will

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 25 19:40:51 UTC 2011

An interesting approach to the free will problem, and to philosophical problems in general:

Abstract. Recently in these pages it has been argued that a relatively straightforward version of an
old argument based on evolutionary biology and psychology can be employed to support the view
that innate ideas are a naturalistic source of metaphysical knowledge. While sympathetic to the
view that the ‘‘evolutionary argument’’ is pregnant with philosophical implications, I show in this
paper how it needs to be developed and deployed in order to avoid serious philosophical difficulties
and unnecessary complications. I sketch a revised version of the evolutionary argument, place it in
a new context, and show that this version in this context is not vulnerable to the standard criticisms
levelled against arguments of this general type. The philosophical import of this version of the
argument lies not in any metaphysical conclusions it sanctions directly, but in the support it lends
to the metaphilosophy of commonsense.

The ‘‘evolutionary argument’’ and the metaphilosophy of commonsense
http://www.springerlink.com/content/b54405n81v378551/fulltext.pdf