[ExI] The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 20:25:12 UTC 2011

On 26 December 2011 15:39, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
> In general, I agree that immigrations could be a net benefit for the
> society and the immigrants.

You see, we still have our differences... :-)

Seriously, some exchange of either relatively close, or small numbers,
or both, of immigrants/emigrants is absolutely physiological for most
societies. *Migrations* of entire peoples, bringing along their
languages, cultures, political structures and to some extent assets,
is also a well-known historical process.

Another, entirely different thing, is slave trade on a large scale. In
the last case, I suspect that the fact that immigrants organise in
enclaves is the least evil both for the immigrants and the host
society.

> Then the left turned as restrictive on
>> immigration as the parties they had just a few years earlier denounced
>> as racist.

In Europe, much of the left (and of churches, and of trade unions)
thought of immigrants as a chance to get, if not votes in the short
term, a new recruitment basis. At the end of the day, large scale
immigration is more likely to give place to a tribalisation of local
politics, where they would vote for ethnic parties, while most of the
"proles" become disaffected with a traditional left and unionist
movement renouncing the representation of their interests out of
ideological biases.

--
Stefano Vaj