[ExI] Voice operated computers

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Feb 7 02:21:21 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Tom Nowell
Subject: Re: [ExI] Voice operated computers

Spike wrote: " No, I don't think voice operated computers will ever appear
in general use. Think about it. What happens when you get a group of people
all shouting at their handheld computers? It's bad enough listening to other
people's mobile phone conversations." Tom

Actually this wasn't my comment, and I disagree with it in any case.
Reasoning: sound travels through solids and liquids much more readily than
through air.  I can imagine an I/O device which is in physical contact with
the skull and goes in the ear.  Failing that, the boom microphone that is
right in front of the mouth, as in a hands-free telephone, works well enough
in a crowded office.

With that in mind, I think we will see in general use a voice-operated
computer.  But what I am really thinking about is a computer-operated voice.
My goal is to allow people to have a conversation with an avatar on a video
screen.