[ExI] Voice operated computers

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Feb 7 19:52:57 UTC 2011

On 02/06/2011 02:42 PM, Tom Nowell wrote:
> Spike wrote: " No, I don't think voice operated computers will ever appear in general use. Think about it. What happens when you get a group of people all shouting at their handheld computers? It's bad enough listening to other
> people's mobile phone conversations."

Subvocalization is your friend.  What I don't want is voice output.
Voice and for that matter, video, is notoriously linear and only capable
of so much playback speed increase while remaining comprehensible.  I am
very sad that it is becoming quite popular to make video instead of
using text for more and more information transfer.  It is not amenable
to search, indexing or quick scanning.  A step backwards in my view.  I
read a LOT faster than I process speech.

- s