[ExI] Time magazine cover story on the singularity

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Feb 18 18:21:41 UTC 2011

.On Behalf Of Darren Greer
Subject: Re: [ExI] Time magazine cover story on the singularity

<

>This may be terribly cynical of me, but I worry when any idea goes
mainstream.

Ja.  For mainstream media, this particular Time article wasn't half bad.

> I always think the media, the moguls and the Wal-marts will try and spin
it enough to make a buck off it.

Hmmm, so what's the bad news?  I didn't even realize there was a way to make
a buck off of the singularity.  Kewalll.

>.Although how you would make money off the singularity I don't know.

If you think of one, do share.  As soon as it gets the profit motive behind
it, the singularity REALLY IS coming.

> How about a T-Shirt that says "The Singularity is coming. Get implants!"
d.

Eeeexcellent Smithers.

Other ideas?  Darren has hit it.  Commercialization is a driving force like
nothing else, a quantity which has a quality all its own.  Commercialization
is our friend.  Look what it did for Christmas.