[ExI] Brief correction re Western Democracies [WASI am Call To Libertarians]

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Mon Feb 21 06:54:48 UTC 2011

Richard Loosemore wrote:
> Ben Zaiboc wrote:
>>
>> 'More or less', except that they assume the right to tell you if you
>>  can have an abortion or not,
> The European democracies, for the most part, are not guilty of these
> objectionable practices.

It should be noted that Ben started his paragraph by saying the
countries involved assumed "the right to tell you if"  and then
continued on the with the list. So in that regard his statement true
regardless of what laws were in place.

However Richard wants to point to the European democracies by which I
assume he means something like the European Union.  But Richard provides
no evidence.

So let us look at the first item on the list abortion and the EU
countries;  according to the info I found online it looks like about 3
out of the EU countries have not abortion restrictions (Iceland, Sweden,
UK).  The rest have various levels of restriction depending on a variety
of factors and based on what I found online the Republic of Ireland only
allows abortion to save the life of the woman.   Since there are about
27 EU countries that means based on the info I found  around 11% of the
EU do not restrict abortion and about 89% do restrict it to varying degrees.

While I think both Ben and Richard need to be more exacting and nuanced
in their language it appears that at least on the question of abortion
Ben is more correct than Richard.

I am not going to research the rest of the list I am going to leave that
to Richard.

Fred