[ExI] Brief correction re Western Democracies [WASI am Call To Libertarians]

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 09:29:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 6:54 AM, F. C. Moulton  wrote:
> However Richard wants to point to the European democracies by which I
> assume he means something like the European Union.  But Richard provides
> no evidence.
>
> So let us look at the first item on the list abortion and the EU
> countries;  according to the info I found online it looks like about 3
> out of the EU countries have not abortion restrictions (Iceland, Sweden,
> UK).  The rest have various levels of restriction depending on a variety
> of factors and based on what I found online the Republic of Ireland only
> allows abortion to save the life of the woman.   Since there are about
> 27 EU countries that means based on the info I found  around 11% of the
> EU do not restrict abortion and about 89% do restrict it to varying degrees.
>
> While I think both Ben and Richard need to be more exacting and nuanced
> in their language it appears that at least on the question of abortion
> Ben is more correct than Richard.
>
> I am not going to research the rest of the list I am going to leave that
> to Richard.

Thanks for pointing out that some countries in the European Union are
not quite perfect yet. (Irony alert!).

This graphic from the NY Times is self explanatory.
<https://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/02/19/opinion/19blowch.html>

The main point, of course, is that libertarian policies on a national
level are a recipe for total disaster and chaos. Around the world
almost anything is preferable.

BillK