[ExI] Brief correction re Western Democracies [WASI am Call To Libertarians]

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 18:22:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com>
> wrote:
> > Ben Zaiboc wrote:

> >> SUPPORTING the government funding of:

> Some libertarians go so far as to shorten this list to Army, Courts
> and Police. There is no reason today for all roads not to be toll
> roads IMHO. Why not regulate, then privatize prisons?

Because it creates an incentive to incarcerate people? The more people in
prison, the more profits from prison management.

> The first fire
> station in America was a libertarian establishment founded by Benjamin
> Franklin. Buy fire insurance from us, and we'll fight the fire when
> your house goes up. If not, we'll come and protect your insured
> neighbors. THAT is libertarianism at its farthest point.

Wow. I don't know how to say this without sounding offensive, but this is
remarkably similar to how the mafia operates in southern Italy. Buy
protection from us, and we'll make sure that nothing happens to your
business. If not, don't call us when some random guy happens to start a fire
on your door or your delivery truck in the middle of the night...

Alfio