[ExI] atheists declare religions as scams.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:24:19 UTC 2011

2011/1/7 spike wrote:
> Indeed?  If you refer to the story of Onan, his sin was not masturbation,
> but rather his intentionally failing to impregnate his late brother’s
> widow.  See Genesis 38:9.  Your argument can actually still be saved
> regarding a false and incorrect moral value, if you modify the text
> following your original comment to something along the lines of “Ancient
> religions required the brother of the deceased man to impregnate his widow,
> so that the deceased would have heirs.”  Clearly this is a failing of any
> society and belief system that would propagate such an egregious notion.  I
> suppose it depends on how babelicious is one’s sister-in-law, but still.

The story of Onan is certainly the Biblical reference that Sondre
meant. But I don't think the interpretation is as clear as you state.
(What interpretation of ancient documents ever is?).  :)

In ancient times Jehovah was very keen on the tribe reproducing as
much as possible. (Many references). And Onan failed in this respect.
But the punishment for this behaviour wasn't death. See Deuteronomy
25:5-10, where a brother refuses to marry his dead brother's wife and
produce children and is only punished by public humiliation.
Onan enjoyed his brother's wife but refused to produce children by
wasting his seed on the ground. So he deserved death for two reasons.
Illegally enjoying the wife *and* contraception.

So masturbation isn't directly mentioned as forbidden behaviour,
except when it is used as a method of contraception. Not having as
many children as possible is a sin in ancient times. But it is only a
small step to say that masturbation should also be forbidden as a sin,
because seed gets wasted instead of producing children.

> Unintentionally hilarious is the quote
>
>>"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore
>> strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

This quote is not a general instruction to Muslim believers.
It is part of the story of the Battle of Badr, the first major battle
between the Muslims and the Meccan pagans around 625 C.E. It was
spoken to the Muslim troops to inspire them for the battle. This is
exactly the same as all the ferocious orders to Israelite troops in
Old Testament battles. 'kill all the men and take the women' etc.

BillK