[ExI] atheists declare religions as scams.

Sondre Bjellås sondre-list at bjellas.com
Fri Jan 7 21:50:16 UTC 2011

Thanks Spike for pointing out an obvious error in my argument :-)

I was raised a Christian from childhood and this was something I learned
early on, and from that basis I tried to search for some quotes from the
bible and was to eager to continue writing my reply that I failed to check
the validity of the quote. I found it with quotes, and figured it was a real
quote and clearly it was not.

The flaw in this lies in my childhood education as a Christian, and the
answer lies in about.com:
http://christianteens.about.com/od/whatthebiblesaysabout/f/masturbation.htm

"Does the Bible talk about masturbation? Is there clear scripture that tells
us if masturbation is right or wrong? While Christians debate the topic of
masturbation, there is no scripture that directly mentions the act. Yet some
Christians do refer to specific scripture that describes healthy and
unhealthy sexual behavior in order to determine whether or not masturbation
is a sin."

Love the way you see the humor in the Qur'an ;-) Of which is more or less
correct I think.

There are other examples in the Ten Commandments, but much more elsewhere in
the religious texts.

One quick example: "Honor your father and your mother". Nobody should honor
their parents just because they are our relatives. If your parents abuses
you, why should you honor them?

Thanks again!

- Sondre

2011/1/7 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> *On Behalf Of *Sondre Bjellås
> *…*
>

> >Let's move on to a *false moral value*:
>

> >…"thou shalt not cast thy seed upon the ground"
>

> Sondre, the way you wrote this sounds like you quoted an ancient source.
> Which?  Where?  It isn’t anywhere in the christian bible.
>

> >…This is regarding masturbation, of which people a long, long time ago
> looked upon as something nasty, evil and destructive to a persons life…
>

> Indeed?  If you refer to the story of Onan, his sin was not masturbation,
> but rather his intentionally failing to impregnate his late brother’s
> widow.  See Genesis 38:9.  Your argument can actually still be saved
> regarding a false and incorrect moral value, if you modify the text
> following your original comment to something along the lines of “Ancient
> religions required the brother of the deceased man to impregnate his widow,
> so that the deceased would have heirs.”  Clearly this is a failing of any
> society and belief system that would propagate such an egregious notion.  I
> suppose it depends on how babelicious is one’s sister-in-law, but still.
>

> Unintentionally hilarious is the quote
>

> >"*I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore
> strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them*"
>

> Oh NO, not the fingertips, anything but that!  {8^D  What order are these
> off-strikings to be done?  Strike off their fingertips, so now they are in a
> lot of pain, then strike off their heads?  That makes more sense than the
> reverse.
>

> spike

 Sondre Bjellås | Senior Solutions Architect | Steria
http://www.sondreb.com/