[ExI] Probability of being affected by terrorism [WAS Re: Mass transit]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Thu Jan 13 17:32:39 UTC 2011

Keith Henson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 5:00 AM,   Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> However, the tiny value of pC makes this a very minor worry. I would be
>> more worried about catching some illness from the crowd or getting hurt
>> in traffic getting to it.
>
> As usual, airtight reasoning from Anders.

Uh, not so fast.

The computations were *too* airtight, since they involved only the
(tractable) computations about the probability of being directly hurt.

Terrorism (or feral actions, if you will) are often not designed to
target the individuals they hurt directly, but to target the perceptions
of the majority of society.

That is a very different thing.  A suitably planned series of terrorist
attacks that (speaking probabilistically) would be very unlikely to
affect anyone on this list, could nevertheless trigger a sequence of
events in which, say, the United States reacted spasmodically and
allowed the installation of an extreme right-wing government led by
President Glenn Beck and Vice President Pat Robertson, which then
decided to pre-emptively nuke Iran, which responded by unleashing one
nuke at Israel and (who would have guessed they had one experimental
ICBM, that in its first test would manage to limp its way around the
globe?) that made it to the US and destroyed a large city.

(And if anyone feels inclined to scoff at that scenario, don't forget
that the attacks that occurred a little less than 10 years ago had the
effect of changing U.S. perceptions enough to start two overseas wars.)

So, please redo the calculations and include the probability of "side
effects" such as these, which utterly dwarf the direct effects.

(Hint:  correct answer is that the probabilities cannot be computed in
any meaningful way).

Richard Loosemore