[ExI] Probability of being affected by terrorism [WAS Re: Mass transit]

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Jan 13 20:16:10 UTC 2011

Richard Loosemore wrote:
> Keith Henson wrote:
>> As usual, airtight reasoning from Anders.
>
> Uh, not so fast.
Thanks Keith, and you're right, Richard. :-)

In fact, I have partially redone the calculations more carefully and
found a few minor issues. I will post them on my blog a bit later (right
now I am sitting on the London-Oxford bus, hardly the best place for
getting probability theory stringent). Basically, it turns out that the
risk of being harmed from a single-victim feral is a bit larger in small
groups (avoid elevators!) because of the smaller pool of potential
victims. And for power-law distributed terrorism there is a situation
where there exist a finite most dangerous group size for a given
probability of people being terrorists and for the damage exponent. But
they hardly change my core conclusions.

> Terrorism (or feral actions, if you will) are often not designed to
> target the individuals they hurt directly, but to target the
> perceptions of the majority of society.

Yup. In many ways this is a good thing, since terrorists do not seem to
maximize lethality.

> So, please redo the calculations and include the probability of "side
> effects" such as these, which utterly dwarf the direct effects.
>
> (Hint:  correct answer is that the probabilities cannot be computed in
> any meaningful way).

Depends on whether you are a subjectivist or not about probabilities. I
see no problem with saying that the risk of being affected is = P(me
affected|side effects) P(side effects|terrorism) P(terrorist act). The
probabilities are going to be subjective estimates, largely set by
experience and messy, unreliable intuition. A more elaborate model
taking real world structure into account might even give better
estimates, but it will still merely be a best guess. This entirely OKand
rational as long as correctly update probabilities as I get new
evidence; I might wish for the certainty of mathematics or firm
empirical data, but in a world of unknowns and black swans this is what
we have to make do with.

Actually, let's play around a bit with our assumptions and see what
happens. I think we have a pretty good model of terrorism being power
law distributed with exponent -2.5. The amount of effect a terrorist
action has depends on 1) where it happens, 2) how big it is, 3) how
outrageous it is. Who can name this week's terrorist actions without
googling? They all happened in the usual far-away countries we tend to
skim over in our news reading, and they happened to people we do not
know. Conversely, 911 was an unusually big terrorist event - it is an
outlier in the data, and the effect was of course amplified by happening
in a major developed country and in an outrageous fashion (not all
tragedies are equal). I would model this by saying the effect probably
scales with the size X as X^k, where k>1. The proper thing would be to
actually check the amount of coverage different terrorist actions have
got as a function of their sizes, building a proper probability model.
Finally, let's make a guesstimate of how the event effect influences the
chance of it influencing me. I can see an argument for a threshold
effect (small ones rarely matter, big ones have a high likeliehood): a
simple model would be P(affected|effect)=(effect}^p where p is another
exponent > 1, and we clamp the result to [0,1]. Now, putting all this
together we get P(me affected|event size = X)=CX^(k+p-2.5) where C is
the normalization factor.

This crude estimate already tells us something interesting. Unless
k+p<2.5 (which is unlikely, since both are by assumption > 1) there is
going to a be a critical terrorism size that affects everybody. This is
in many ways the terrorist sweet spot: it is hard to make big X attacks,
but if you reach a sufficient size you will get global effects - it
actually doesn't pay making bigger attacks. If k+p<2.5 big attacks do
not pay: too hard to do, and there is insufficient reaction to them. So
other forms of "politics by other means" are needed. So if we want to
reduce terrorism it might be interesting to consider *ignoring* it to a
certain extent - overreactions play into the hands of terrorists (and
anti-terrorists, of course).

(OK, this is as far as I could get between London and Oxford...)

Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute
Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University