[ExI] Probability of being affected by terrorism [WAS Re: Mass transit]

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 20:30:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> So if we want to reduce terrorism it might be interesting
> to consider *ignoring* it to a certain extent - overreactions play into the
> hands of terrorists (and anti-terrorists, of course).

This is known, of course.  The problem is, how do we prevent most people
from getting into hysterics over terrorists, or from taking action
with long term
consequences before the hysteria subsides?

A parallel can be made to immune systems.  When injury occurs, such as from
a virus/from a terrorist attack, the system kicks up to mitigate the injury and
prevent further damage.  However, in some cases, the system's reaction can do
more damage - even fatal levels.  (For example, autoimmune disorders - which,
since they're fundamentally a failure to recognize parts of self as
self, provoking
attacks against parts useful or required for continued existence,
arguably apply to
both types of systems here.  What happens when, say, the average citizen is so
aware of police abuses that the concept of anyone trying to impose law and order
becomes anathema, so no one supports those trying to prevent thugs and
warlords from taking over for personal benefit?)

Drugs have been developed to combat this in biological immune systems.  Is
there an equivalent for societal ones?