[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits.

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 19:14:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com>wrote:

> What is sad about all this is that AI has been through so many of these
> cycles.  Thinking that dictionary lookup plus a few extras is all you need
> for intelligence.  This is true.  It is just that the "few extras" are
> 99.999% of the problem.

I completely agree that Watson isn't AI, but I disagree that it's trivial.
>From an AI perspective, a google search may be trivial, but the ability to
search hundreds of thousands of web sites instantly is incredibly
useful--and, although it's a simple idea, implementing it is anything but
trivial.

Thinking of Watson as a next gen search engine one starts to see how
important it could be. Sure, I can type a query into google on my phone. And
I haven't tried it, but I think I can even speak a query into my phone,
though I don't think it'll speak the results back to me. But if I could
speak a query to Watson and get a spoken response almost instantly? That
would be awesome. "Who played bass on In-a-gadda-da-vida?" "Lee Dorman".
With Google that's going to take a few minutes and a couple of searches--and
you could easily get the wrong answer. Now imagine a personal Watson that
has access your personal data. "What the name of the pizza joint in Peoria I
went to back in '05?" That would be handy. How about a chronological list of
every known pizza joint I've been to?

-Dave