[ExI] Social right to have a living

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 13:13:23 UTC 2011

On 30 June 2011 03:30, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> Bogus scenario as (a) it is difficult for any company to be the only one in
> an area and (b) it is much too easy to move if local conditions get too bad.
> If the conditions get too bad then the company can't hire and keep good
> employees, especially not more than unskilled to semi-skilled labor.  If it
> gets too outrageous in its prices or other policies it will go uncompetitive
> relative to other firms or possible firm in the same type of business.  Self
> limiting..

One wonders. This was also true for tribes, but they managed to
develop into modern States. Moreover, who says that the company should
be badly managed and end up being uncompetitive? In fact, its
shareholders and/or employees may well participate in the advantages
of increasing scale economies and economic ("horizontal") integration.

> Sure.  Actually it is perfectly legal for you or I to create our own
> currency any time we want to.  We might not find anyone that wants to accept
> it though.

No so in continental Europe. Actually, this is sovereign privilege,
even though it has been transferred to private, monopolistic entities
known as central banks.

The problem is not that States are considered more trustworthy in the
creation of money out of thin air (in fact, they have not been doing
that themselves for a rather long time now). It is that if you try and
establish you own currency, the police come.

> Default on a contract and you get called in front of the DRO (dispute
> resolution organization) agreed to as part of the contract.  If you default
> on the DROs judgment or blow them off  then others will be very unlikely to
> do business with you or trust you.  There are also escrow type arrangements
> without involving a state.  You don't need a state for such defaulting on
> agreements to receive much negative feedback.   You don't get impartiality
> from a government.

Yes, you know the details better, but I was aware that in libertarian
thought solutions are proposed with regard to enforcement of contracts
without resorting to governmental intervention.

--
Stefano Vaj