[ExI] seamless uploading

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Thu Jul 14 04:23:00 UTC 2011

Hi Jeff,

It's great to hear from you, and to hear about this kind of 'seamless'
uploading from yet another source!  I think I remember you in some of
our great old time conversations about identity way back when?  That was
before we could ever make any progress without a tool to track and
amplify such conversations like we now have with canonizer.com.

This information your provide is kind of getting some of the details
wrong, but it is precicely the kind of seamless 'effing' of the
ineffable uploading that will be possible, as predicted by the current
leading scientific consensus camp at the consciousness survey project at
canonizer.com on what consciousness is (see:
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88/6 , and let me know if you want to
review the latest state of the art version of the camp statement the
experts are currently about ready to submit to replace that now year old
version.  And notice that this theory is already accepted by far more
diverse leading experts, including Lehar, Chalmers, Smythies, Hameroff,
Ramachandran..., and continues to extend the lead the more comprehensive
the survey becomes, than even the second next leading theory.)

One of the things missing about a critical difference between current
'wet' and 'computer brains', as predicted by the leading expert
consensus, is that, for computer brains, it doesn't matter what you
represent red with, as long as whatever is doing the representation
(whether it be water pipes, silicone, 5 volts, 0 volts, or whatever) the
only important thing is that the representation be interpreted
appropriately.  If 5 volts represents red, and 0 volts represents green,
and you swap these two, and still properly interpret them, the computer
will go on picking the strawberry from the green leaves just as capably
- -there will be no difference.  What is representing the red and green
knowledge, by design, doesn't matter - only the correct interpretation
of such representations matters.

But, if you invert our knowledge of the strawberries and leaves, made of
redness and greenness, such that the leaves are now represented with
redness, and the strawberries now with greenness, sure, we'll be picking
the strawberies just as intelligently, but our consciousness experience
of it will be phenomenally very different - and that ineffable
difference is what consciousness is all about.  If you shine a light on
whatever it is, in our brain, that has this reddnes (if it is greay
matter, it will reflect grey light) and if you interpret it as 'grey'
you will surely be misinterpreting the representation incorrectly (this
is refereed to as the "qualia interpretation problem" in the new draft
version being collaboratively developed by the consensus experts).

The Representational Qualia Theory predicts we will soon be effing and
sharing these sensations between minds, by connections that will work
like the Corpus Callosum must be working, to join all this redness and
greenness that our knowledge is made of together.

You quoted:

"By being able to have consciousness span current brain and new brain
for a sufficient period of time and having real time consciousness
operating throughout the upload and eventual shutoff there would be
less issue over is consciousness preserved."

But this is a little bit off, and surely no time will be required, once
we start effing and merging minds like this.  It also totally misses
such ideas as there will surely be way more phenomenal properties being
discovered and added in that nobody has ever experienced yet...  There
is a more precise description of this kind of seamless upload, and what
it will be like, as predicted by this expert leading consensus theory,
described in the 5th chapter of a fictional narrative in my story "1229
years after Titanic" here if you are interested:

http://home.comcast.net/~brent.allsop/1229.htm#_Toc22030742

I'd love to know if you agree that this is what 'seamless' uploading
will be like and how there will soon be no 'problem of other minds',
everyone will look forward to uploading, and that the turning test is
only an ignorant test, since the only important question to ask such a
machine, is a question like what is red like for you?

And, by the way, you pointed out how hard it is to keep up, with things
like what are currently the leading theories of consciousness and how
well accepted are each.  How can you keep up with this, when there is
now more than 20K publications in Chalmers bibliography, all mostly
saying yes, no, yes, no in a childish, stuck in ever deeper trivial rat
wholes debate...?  That is precisely why we created canonizer.com, so we
could better keep up with all the important stuff, and amplify the
intelligence of the entire crowd about all such scientific and moral
things as ever more demonstrable scientific proof comes in at ever
increasing rates.

Brent Allsop