[ExI] seamless uploading

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 14 20:55:15 UTC 2011

On Jul 14, 2011, at 12:23 AM, Brent Allsop wrote:
"if you invert our knowledge of the strawberries and leaves, made of redness and greenness, such that the leaves are now represented with redness, and the strawberries now with greenness, sure, we'll be picking the strawberies just as intelligently, but our consciousness experience of it will be phenomenally very different"
Hmm, if the experience is not just different but is VERY different it's odd that we would react to such very different things in exactly the same way. When I was young and giant reptiles ruled the Earth I took a psychology course and read about a experiment where the subjects wore goggles that turned everything upside down, they wore them for a long time. At first they were disorientated but over time their brain adjusted  and they went about their business normally, they forgot things were upside down. When they eventually took the goggles off and things were right side up again they were again temporally disorientated.
  "and that ineffable difference is what consciousness is all about."
It's also odd that in spite of being "ineffable" some people do insist on talking about it a lot, and in spite of being completely effable they don't like to talk about the far more complicated and useful property of intelligence.
  "If you shine a light on whatever it is, in our brain, that has this reddnes (if it is greay matter, it will reflect grey light) and if you interpret it as 'grey' you will surely be misinterpreting the representation incorrectly "
And on most computer monitors the following word "RED" will not produce red light, try it on your own monitor and you will probably see I am right. I claim that my thought experiment is just as profound as yours. Not very.

 John K Clark