[ExI] Libertarianism wins again...

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Wed Jul 20 18:50:28 UTC 2011

Spike wrote:

>Libertarianism is in Extropy's DNA.  One need not be libertarian, only
>tolerant.

 From my recollections of the way it was, I think Spike captured it
correctly and succinctly. The original list, from which this one derives,
was explicitly friendly to anarcho-capitalist libertarianism. The original
description made it clear that it was one of several basics that you
need not agree with, but arguing over was off-topic. I'd say that virtually
everyone who declared their political views was libertarian, in contrast
to other transhumanist communities.

The sentiment moved when it became this list. You could argue in
opposition to libertarianism, but you couldn't be rude in your
disagreement.

(An imbalance, mind you; it *was* acceptable to be rude about
statism as long as you weren't personal.)

-- David.