[ExI] The difference between Discovery and Design.

kellycoinguy at gmail.com kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 17:26:38 UTC 2011

Richard Dawkins is pretty talented in both fields...

Kelly

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On Jul 28, 2011 7:20 AM, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:

David Lubkin wrote:

"Sagan was an okay scientist. He was far from top tier."

True, but one has to admit _Science as a Candle in the Dark_ is a mighty

fine title for a book.

"If you want a soaring talent who is both a top scientist and an excellent

writer, my best candidates are probably Lynn Margulis (who, btw, was Sagan's

ex) and Linus Pauling, although there are other names, like E. O. Wilson,

that lurk in my hindbrain."

Margulis yes! I adore her.  It does not matter who she is married to or was

married to. She stands on her own. I am related to Pauling, but the gene

pool did not go in my direction.  E.O. Wilson's _Consilience_ is mighty fine

as well.

But none of them compare to the insights of da Vinci (who was not a

scientist, per se) AND, this is where the issue of discovery and design

meet.

Natasha

extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org