[ExI] People are the same?

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 19:18:52 UTC 2011

It depends on what the background rate of change is and what kind of impact these changes have. E.g., imagine a SNP change that has zero impact because it's for a structural protein for something that's rarely produced and it codes for part of the structure that is tolerate of having many different sequences of amino acids. In that case, wild changes in it wouldn't have much impact on the phenotype and it's likely drift would be the norm... (Or this is my lay understanding.:)

That said, if such a change were "common" -- if few or no humans ten thousands years ago had it and now all or almost all humans have it -- I'd be suspicious that there's something else going on here.

Regards,

Dan