[ExI] Moon Bases Not Needed (Kevin) (Dan)

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 20:05:47 UTC 2011

I think there are a range of scenarios possible from the worst case where some tech or other disaster happens and, yes, lunar bases and the like won't do much good, but there are others where they would. You wouldn't, I trust, argue one shouldn't have lifeboats simple because there are shipping disasters where lifeboats won't matter, such as, say, an asteroid hitting the ship. :)

My view on lunar or space settlement is to proceed slowly anyhow and build capabilities slowly. Yes, this just means spreading the costs over a longer term, but it also means no or very few big Manhattan or Apollo projects that gobble up lots of resources. And this can, I believe, work. It's kind of like colonizing the Pacific islands via small steps on small craft with tiny communities versus a huge national or international effort to build ocean liners and vast cities. No doubt, had the latter been the road to doing this, the Pacific islands would likely have been uninhabited until the 18th or 19th century and then only by teams of bureaucrats and soldiers in a few "secure" facilities.

Regards,

Dan