[ExI] Brain emulation, regions and AGI [WAS Re: Kelly's future]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Thu Jun 2 00:53:15 UTC 2011

Kelly Anderson wrote:
> I know the Limbic system (which is not in the cortex) is involved in
> regulating emotion, but I'm not sure if it is the seat of emotion.
> Given that, it seems probable that a purely cereberal cortex based AGI
> would probably not be particularly human... at least from an emotional
> standpoint.

Yes, exactly right.

So, when you hear me talking about the distinction between the
"thinking" component of the AGI and the motivational/emotional system,
that would be a simple way of saying that the AGI will have a cortex
equivalent (what I loosely describe as the "foreground" in the papers I
have written on this subject) and a bunch of lower brain components,
including the M/E system.

>>  Also, the state known to psychologists as "romantic love" is pretty much a
>> state of total insanity controlled by some structures whose only purpose is
>> to subvert the reasoning faculty and make the person becoming obsessed with
>> a single other individual.  And so on.
>
> But these processes ARE part of what make us human.

They are.  But when it comes to building an AGI, I think I might ...
ahem ... go a little careful on the l-DLPFC equivalent.  I don't think
we need to make them so much like us that they experience full blown
romantic love and go completely cuckoo.

Richard Loosemore