[ExI] Usages of the term libertarianism

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:19:37 UTC 2011

On 2 June 2011 04:08, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> The fact is, the "market" (random guys looking to make a buck) has a
> much longer time horizon than even the richest "dumper" (a guy who
> thinks he can make money by first losing money and then making it up
> on the same product). Yes, in theory, you could make widgets for 10$,
> and sell for 5$, stopping all >5$ manufacturers from making a sale.
> But, these competitors wouldn't just curl up and die.

I am far from acritically supporting antitrust regulations, if anything
because my international client tend to have a dominant positions in their
markets ;-) and because cartels in the style of imperial Germany or
Meiji-era Japan would if anything make European industries more, not less
competitive nowadays, but the repertory of "unfair practices" is broader
than that.

Think of Microsof, giving browsers away, and delaying the control of the
operating systems becoming irrelevant for decades. Or of Coca-Cola. with
"free" dispensers allowing for just one brand of cola.

--
Stefano Vaj