[ExI] Unsustainable was Re: Solar power makes UK people poorer

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 13:22:40 UTC 2011

2011/6/11 Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com>

> Your information is incorrect for your argument purposes.  For example,
> sustainability does not mean here running out of phosphorus, it is runoff
> causing massive algal blooms eutrophying the shit out of lakes and ruining
> the ecosystem, a thing that you might remember is important to us...

Mmhhh. My approach is inverse. Nothing we do is "sustainable" for an
indefinite time. There is nothing we can do in order to avoid affecting the
ecosystem. Heck, ecosystems are neither stable nor sustainable themselves
for any substantial length of time irrespective of the presence of the human
kind.

What is then the point of making our oil last for 20% more time by making
20% less out of it in the meantime?

Thus, we best we can do is to steer the change - a luxury requiring extra
resources -  and to constantly strive to find new avenues in our endless
battle against the second principle of thermodynamics.

Somebody stranded on a desert island with no hope of rescue is better off by
keeping in good shape as long as he can rather than reduce is rations to
what is marginal to survival and not really compatible with any meaningful
life.

--
Stefano Vaj