[ExI] The Argumentative Theory of Reasoning

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jun 16 05:07:15 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Gordon

>...theory: reason evolved not to ascertain truth but rather to aid us in
arguing with others. It is primarily a social function.

https://sites.google.com/site/hugomercier/theargumentativetheoryofreasoning

Hmmm perhaps they were advancing the theory merely to facilitate social
advancement.

>...I wonder... assuming this theory is "true" then how shall we ever know
it?

Most of the function of any theory is to provide a guide in the search for
evidence.  It's an interesting concept.  I will ponder it, then watch and
listen.

>...But I'm willing to listen to other arguments. :)  -gts

Ja, but how can we ever be sure you are listening to other arguments?  You
might be in it just for the social status.

{8^D