[ExI] Natasha's Response re: Libertarianism, Extropiansim &Transhumanism

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 18:49:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 2:55 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> An optimist might hope for the development of alternative energy
> sources and a voluntary reduction in world population / reduction in
> world energy consumption.

With a big enough alternate energy source, you don't need to reduce
population or consumption.

There are probably several.  I have worked on two of them myself, SBSP
and StratoSolar.

They have sparked little interest here, but if you want to look at
progress on the former, try here:http://www.theoildrum.com/node/7898

> But time seems to be rapidly running out.
> The problem is not only the development of alternative energy sources,
> but the rapid deployment throughout the world in sufficient capacity
> to maintain present lifestyles and aspirations.

On a crash basis, the transport system and the first few power
satellites could be in place in 5 years.  Perhaps less.  It not as
hard as the Manhattan Project.

On the other hand, at least in Western culture, there seems to be an
awful lot of people in high places who either want a population crash
or are so committed to it happening that they are hostile to the
possibility it could be avoided.

Keith