[ExI] Natasha's Response re: Libertarianism, Extropiansim &Transhumanism

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 13:55:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:55 AM, BillK  wrote:
> As I watch what appears to be the ongoing collapse of the world
> economy, your level 2 seems to be becoming more likely. "Hard Return -
> Reversal". I doubt if I would class that path as 'Authoritarian'
> though. More like 'Inevitable' - options running out. The jaws are
> closing between resources running out (oil, coal, gas, etc.) and both
> the increasing world population and the increased resource consumption
> as the Third World develops First World expectations.

Mike Treder has just written a blog post along similar lines:
<http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/4802>

Quote:

Race for the Future       Posted: Jun 27, 2011

Our future depends on the outcome of a three-way race between: 1) the
development and implementation of emerging technologies; 2) the
evolution of improved methods of governance; and 3) systemic
breakdowns in the world economy and the global ecosystem.

Right now, #3 seems to be winning the race, by a long way. And even if
#1 can begin to pick up the pace, the poor showing of #2 will impede
#1 while at the same time bettering the chances of #3.

BillK