[ExI] Call To Libertarians

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:39:42 UTC 2011

On 24 February 2011 18:39, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So how do you cope with a group of people who believe that, for instance,
> foetuses are people, and you are hurting someone else if you have an
> abortion?  Or that you're hurting your children if you don't bring them up
> believing in a particular god, thus condemning them to eternal torture?

Simple.

While I think that in principle only the social norms of a group define what
is human life and which life deserves to be protected and when, nothing
prevents me from fighting the norms I do not agree with, and attempting to
replace them with mine. Or, at the end of the day, to try and separing
myself from that group, tipically walking as away from it as I can.

So, yes, I agree that "as long as it does not hurt anyone" is no magic
bullet to find a solution to political dissent (define "hurt", define
"unjustified hurt"). In fact, it is a somewhat formal, recursive imperative,
such as "do the right thing": hardly anybody puts *that* in discussion, the
issue is what should be deemed right or wrong.

--
Stefano Vaj