[ExI] Serfdom and libertarian critiques (Was: Call to Libertarians)

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 01:33:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> If 10% of my income goes to build a private palace, that's theft.  If
> 50% of my income goes to zero-fare public transit, universal health
> care, funding for basic research, good law enforcement, safe housing,
> and many other public services, I may consider that a good deal.

### But public transport, especially zero fare, as well as universal
(I presume you mean "free") health care are highly inefficient as a
way of apportioning resources - and of course, provision of services
by a public (i.e. monopolistic, non-accountable) authority is also
highly inefficient. You are very unlikely to get a good deal if it's
offered as something you cannot refuse.

The key to efficiency in fulfilling human desires within a social
structure are the twin abilities to freely make and refuse offers.

Rafal