[ExI] Two Japanese reactors on red alert

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Tue Mar 15 19:48:17 UTC 2011

Mirco Romanato wrote:
> This is emotional thinking.
> They have problems, but thy are manageable.
>
> The earthquake hitting the power plant was 16 times stronger than the
> security levels it was designed to withstand.

Then why was it designed to withstand something 16 times weaker than a
realistic quake?  A quake of this magnitude, followed by a tsunami, was
an *easily* expected event in the lifetime of these reactors.  This is
not emotional thinking (what is emotional about describing a gross
mismatch between planning and a likely event?).

> I think some people would argue against nuclear power plant even if an
> asteroid 50 m large fell over the reactors. Too risky.

This is emotional thinking.

(Your thinking:  that you would try to dismiss real risk-assessment by
making a facile comparison with "people" who would use 50m asteroids as
a criterion).

Richard Loosemore