[ExI] Did Hugo de Garis leave the field?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 4 07:15:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 04:45:27PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> > Paradigm shifts are rarer than people seem to think.
>
> So in your opinion, when was the last real paradigm shift and what was it?

It's a matter of opinion. I would put the industrial revolution,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution
but up to ~1970 maybe.

The next Big One will be the switch from fossil to renewable
energy sources and material base, the second industrial
revolution by way of machine-phase nanotechnology and advanced
automation, including machine intelligence, accompanied by
expansion into space.

Inasmuch we're in the first stages of it already is hard to tell.
Near future will show.