[ExI] Did Hugo de Garis leave the field?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:44:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> It's a matter of opinion. I would put the industrial revolution,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution
> but up to ~1970 maybe.
>
> The next Big One will be the switch from fossil to renewable
> energy sources and material base, the second industrial
> revolution by way of machine-phase nanotechnology and advanced
> automation, including machine intelligence, accompanied by
> expansion into space.

I think your definition of paradigm shift is too restrictive. You are
almost making it mean the same as Singularity. You are out on your own
with this usage, In current language use 'paradigm shift' means almost
any significant change in general thought patterns or ways of working.
(Though if you work in Marketing, a new soap powder is called a
'paradigm shift').

Wikipedia has a good article, discussing the origin of the term and
current usage.
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Paradigm_shift>

BillK