[ExI] CR--maybe not so much use

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri May 6 15:53:31 UTC 2011

On 6 May 2011 15:05, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/5/6 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> > Still, the idea of reducing my energy, resistance to cold, libido and
> > ability to think of anything else than food, has very little appeal me.
>
> So reducing hunger for food is good but reducing hunger for sex is
> not? I've brought it up here before, but I would welcome a simple way
> to control my libido. Replacing it with food obsession would be no
> improvement.

In fact, I am not especially enthusiastic about reducing my gastronomic
keenness either.

I had (luckily) temporary taste disturbances owing to cholesteatoma surgery
having affected my corda tympani nerve, and I can guarantee you that in
terms of depressing and mood effects it is only marginally better than
impotence or blindness. Of course, one could probably "control" such
effects, but I should rather have by gastronomic or sex drive or sense of
sight, thank you.

An entirely different story IMHO is tolerance/addiction, such that induced
by carbs, where what comes into play is more quantity, frequency and
repetition than the taste for a pleasurable, diverse and interesting life
experiences.

Now, even though with food quality can compensate to some extent for
quantity, I suspect that on CR the typically reported "obsession for food"
is just that, obsession, not any wish to experiment with the new creations
of a great chef or even the more mundane satisfaction of appreciating a good
steak rather than the McDonald surrogate thereof.

--
Stefano Vaj