[ExI] Planetary defense

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed May 11 07:24:35 UTC 2011

Thanks for your help. The talk went well, will likely show up on YouTube
sometime in the future.

Overall, this conference is immensely cheering. This is a GCR we have a
handle on. Sure, most deflection projects are still pie in the sky, but
the surveys are getting close (~90% complete) for checking
civilization-killers - we are likely safe from these, except for a small
number of longperiodic comets. "The risk of surprise by a large impact
has been completely retired". It is still probably worthwhile to develop
the capacity to nudge things away and be prepared for the occasional
airburst, but we do not need to fear the sky falling.

The irony is of course that solving an xrisk or GCR nets you rather
little credit - nothing visible is happening.

Motto of today: "There is no such thing as free launch"

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute