[ExI] Fat Head (was: sorta mod version of paleo diet)

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Mon May 23 08:28:20 UTC 2011

spike said:
> This confirms a suspicion I have long held, that fast food in itself is not
> necessarily harmful.  Certainly it's bad reputation has been wildly
> exaggerated.  If devoured in moderation, one could live on the stuff,
> relatively cheaply:

That's the entire point of the documentary "Fat Head".
http://www.fathead-movie.com

You can watch it on Hulu, if you don't mind commercials:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head

The plot: an engineer (Tom Naughton) decides that he's going to prove
that the movie "Super Size Me" is bunk.  He goes on a 100% fast food
diet (mostly McDonalds), loses weight, and improves his cholesterol
numbers and blood pressure.  Along the way he debunks quite a few
nutritional myths, with guest appearances from people like Drs. Michael
and Mary Eades, Dr. Mary Enig, Dr. Al Sears, etc.

It also shows how our government's decision to make its first
nutritional recommendations came about, and why the result has been such
a public health disaster.  It's charmingly low-budget, staunchly
pro-freedom, and a solid introduction to the subject of nutrition.

If you just want the science as a presentation, Naughton's speech "Big
Fat Fiasco" is available on YouTube, and goes much farther into depth
than the movie did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exi7O1li_wA
(note: five parts, this is the first)

Of course, I don't recommend fast food due to its nearly universal
gluten content.  But if you live in a city with taco trucks, you could
do worse than a diet of street tacos.  Meat, vegetables, squeeze of
lime, and some non-gluten grains...as far as fast food, that's about as
good as you'll get short of protein style at In-N-Out.

Of course, my preferred "fast food" is fasting.  Now that I've restored
and maintained my metabolic flexibility, fasting is no big deal.  And
it's both cheap and convenient not to be stuck eating airport food, and
not to spend valuable vacation time finding and eating breakfast every
day, when I travel.

JS
http://www.gnolls.org