[ExI] a very silly story

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat May 28 03:45:27 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki
Subject: Re: [ExI] a very silly story

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>> As for thermite, my standard ignition method was always a
magnesium-oxidizer mixture. Of course, I often added a bit extra to get some
aluminium to lift into the air and burn freely - made such a lovely infrared
pulse, and tended to evaporate the soda cans I put the mixture in.

>...### I am partial to sodium perchlorate mixed with magnesium and ignited
by dripping some glycerol on top of a few crystals of permanganate (for a
nice delayed-action fuse).... but aluminum powder is nice too.  What do you
guys think about nitrogen triiodide? Not as flashy but provides a lot fun
when smeared on door latches, chairs and toilets ... Rafal

So much of this fun stuff we used to do would now attract too much attention
from Homeland Security.  Their curiosity would be aroused at something as
benign as collecting a bunch of ammonium nitrate.  Tim McVeigh spoiled so
much fun.