[ExI] Future Movie Quality Benchmarks?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon May 30 10:02:16 UTC 2011

I doubt you could do that good holographic projections, despite the fun
advances in projecting stuff in 3D over the last decade. I would think
VR (visual and audio) could get there, especially if one adds cameras so
one can turn it into AR during popcorn excursions (just layering on film
images on top of the background is no good - who wants to see their
furniture through the space battle?) Direct neural interfacing might go
even further the day it actually works as good as in movies - which is
going to be a tough challenge. The brain is good at filling in details,
but each brain is different which means that the same signal will
produce different experiences in different people. How do we callibrate
that without too much effort?

But the biggest problem isn't really the input fidelity but the ability
to tell a compelling story or create an immersive environment. Note how
well told the little story of the ad was - he stopped the action at just
the right moments to create brief cliffhangers, he moved so that the
flames looked good, you get the explanation for the initial mystery (why
is he just sitting there?) gradually. The problem with interactive media
is that they require a different kind of storytelling, and we are still
in the early days. Truly immersive interactive media likely require
realtime storytellers, presumably some kind of AI.

And of course, then there is the addiction question. We are already
experiencing many things through our entertainment that are far more
rewarding than most things we can experience in real life. Better
entertainment might also mean more addictive entertainment.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute