[ExI] Social right to have a living

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:52:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do have issue with the fact that some people have much
> more money than they will every be able to use, while others are
> starving. This makes the community sick.

Have you looked at the work the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation is
doing? No government would ever do that kind of work, and it benefits
mankind. Rockefeller and Carnegie are other great examples. There are
many more nameless benefactors. I reject the premise that you can have
more money than you can productively use. Money is easy to spend.

Not everyone is as generous as the Gates with their time or their
money, but why should that be forced?

Most rich people don't give away most of their money, the reinvest it.
Look at the work of Marvin Myrvold. Without his money, and obsession,
we would not have the detailed knowledge of food preparation that we
now have. Should we have taxed away his ability to undertake these
investigations? If we had, and the government had done these studies,
we would all be complaining about the misuse of public funds!

A number of rich people just sit on their money and go on cruises.
This is irresponsible IMHO. But I think this is a relatively small
number of people. Just because some people are irresponsible with
their freedom doesn't mean that the responsible should lose their
freedom.

-Kelly