[ExI] Pesky Neutrinos

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 17:19:08 UTC 2011

2011/11/1 john clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

>  On *Tue, 11/1/11, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com>* wrote:
>
> "Sorry, I thought it was implied: A and B, themselves, are not moving
> relative to one another."
>
> Then causality is not violated even with a FTL signal. So you can't always
> produce paradoxes, just some of the time; most of the time actually because
> usually things are moving relative to one another.

Could I get you to explain, then, a series of events whereby A can perform
some action where, from A's perspective, the actual effect (not just the
observation via light) happens before the cause?

The "time travel" arguments I'm seeing seem to reduce to, "A sends out a
FTL signal, something happens elsewhere, and the light from this arrives
back at A faster than if A had triggered this something by sending a signal
of light", or equivalently, "A sends out a FTL signal to point B, and
something happens at point B before point B observes - via light - A
sending this signal".

That is not actually "time travel" in any meaningful sense that I am aware
of.  The hypothesis that this is time travel is easily disproven: simply
have point B send back to A, the same sort of signal as A sent, triggered
by the receipt of A's signal.  If this truly was time travel, then B's
signal would be received by A before A sent the original signal.  Even if A
and B are moving relative to another, this does not seem possible, although
the notation gets trickier (for one thing, their clocks are not in sync -
thus the need to reduce this to A's clock to see if time travel actually
occurred).