[ExI] Online talk next Sunday: Ken Hayworth on How to create a Connectome Observatory of the mouse brain and beyond

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 15 11:44:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:17:58PM +0000, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Giulio Prisco wrote:
>> Ken gave a GREAT talk yesterday.
>>

> Seconded. I was amazed by it, despite both being late and thinking I
> knew what the state of art was. Wow.

The 10 MUSD required for the next generation of his scanner is
easily the best money spent in all of connectomics. I hope Ken won't
have any difficulties in funding it.

At such resolutions volumetric data storage becomes a problem.
With the current technology small installations beyond 10 PByte
will start costing some money, and a 1 cm^3 scan with 5 nm
resolution will produce some exabyte uncompressed. Volumetric
data set compression (e.g. with wavelets) would make it more
manageable, but will definitely have a negative impact on
feature segmentation and tracing.

On the other hand, storage should become noticeably denser
in the next 5-10 years, so a mouse brain with that resolution
would be within reach.