[ExI] Weird new way to do physics

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Mon Nov 28 02:50:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> I assume I should have switched to LaTex or something like that to keep a
> similar experience, but my life was made simpler by adopting first Lotus
> WordPro for OS/2 and then Staroffice/Openoffice.org/Libreoffice, under OS/2
> first and then for Linux.

TeX & LaTeX (actually a TeX extension it is) are nice when one plans, for
example, to retain long term compatibility with texting on computer. There
will be time, when all those books written in close formats become
unreadable. Or they will require proofreading to make sure their
conversion worked out.

So far, I think the most portable (over ages, too) doc format is plain
ascii text.

Originally, TeX files were saved as plain ascii, so... (I think it is
possible to use it with Unicode, too, but I'm not that advanced).

OTOH, it is so powerful (from what I have seen) that it is a real
overkill. Fortunately, LaTeX is much easier and what's more, it is
probably possible to learn its functional equivalent of word proc in about
one afternoon (or I don't have high opinion about word processing).
Provided you have it all installed and working.

Leslie Lamport wrote a good book on LaTeX, I learned from it. I don't
remember title in English (mine was in Polish).

And nice text editor would help a lot. Something that could color TeX
commands etc. Like, maybe Emacs or Vim. There are also LyX and Texmacs,
which are WYSIWYG (or some other acronym, I Knew What I Meant?
whatever...) but I don't know how nice they really are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TeX_editors

Regards,
Tomasz Rola