[ExI] Weird new way to do physics

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Mon Nov 28 02:15:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> >

> We always have Linux...

Well, I guess this applies to ca. 7-10 percent of "we". I am very fine
with Linux (and I stopped using Sleazy long ago, to the point it is out of
my partitions, and I mostly used it for games before this, in theory at
least because the Sleazy ceased playing old games).

But I admit it takes time to "feel" Linux. And every once and then I come
to a fine puzzle that my computer gives me to solve, and I learn again and
I'm happy (maybe even a bit proud) when I solve it. Especially when all
forums visited prior to this show to have it wrong (I don't mean a
"pussles" where all it takes is to read a part of manual).

In a way, Linux' target users are programmers. Or people with similar
mindset. Some distros, like Ubuntu, can be used by "anybody" - until
something hits the fan and "anybody" is asked to produce dmesg or fragment
of syslog or compiling piece of C and showing what it writes. But I am
happy to see Ubuntu on my laptop and maybe it will flourish even more.

The rest of the computer users is going to be fragged with mediocre
designs. This is kind of decision, even if on unconscious level. However,
since everything is connected, I may suffer because of Sleazy, too. As
Perl programmer would have probably put it, "there is more than one way of
suffering from other people's errors".

Just my 7 groszy (= 0.07 Polish zloty ~= 2 cents by today's exchange
rate).

:-)

[...]
> It is a complex story to be sure. I'm just adding what I know from the
> local folklore, living in Utah County the whole time this all was
> going on. Of course the Pete Peterson thing was all rumor... but from
> people that were pretty close to the situation. Some of whom were
> really mad and blamed Pete, not Bill for their demise.
>
> Why in the hell Novel decided to buy WordPerfect at the time was
> completely beyond me, at the time. Some said it was because of the
> personal relationship between Norda and Ashton... and because
> WordPerfect's books were too disheveled for them to go public. Left
> Alan with a problem of how to cash out... Alan had a very strong bias
> against going public, thought that a private company was run better.
> May be the case, but certainly not in the accounting department. Novel
> got awful good at buying companies and killing them, and WP was just
> the biggest example of a trend. Not that the companies they bought
> were bad... just that Novel couldn't capitalize on them after the
> acquisition.

Interesting, really. I keep forgetting that in many cases people
voluntarily blow themselves up theirs and there are not any external
factors to blame for this.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola