[ExI] Weird new way to do physics

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 18:38:37 UTC 2011

On 27 November 2011 13:14, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Again, sorry for the late reply to this thread... but on the subject
> of picking a programming language and premature optimization, let me
> share my personal observations of a little local company known as
> WordPerfect.

As in many morality stories, however, the historical truth is somewhat more
complicate.

Wordperfect for OS/2 was originally a character-based application, same as
the DOS version.

The reason why Wordperfect for Windows never succeeded has not much to do
with its programming language, but rather with the fact that it was based
on a function-key-centered user interface, same as Wordstar fundamentally
was making use of Ctrl-Key sequences and Word of drop-down menus.

Of course, only the last was consistent with a Windows-like environment -
or, for that matter, a Mac or OS/2 Presentation Manager one.

Adapting to the environment, however, would mean and meant to lose the
loyalty of existing users who had no more real reason other than the
trademark to use an altogether different wordprocessor anyway. A comma-22
situation.

The fact that Microsoft was controlling both the shell and the apps running
on it has been what made it a winner. Things were not different for Lotus
1-2-3 or Wordpro, etc.

--
Stefano Vaj