[ExI] Slow thinking

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 3 15:30:31 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 01:09:08PM -0700, spike wrote:

> Excellent Keith.  A solution similar to this was proposed by me about a
> decade ago: that distant MBrains do not communicate with us because it isn't

New volcanic islands, just emerged from the waves, never get colonized.
They remain forever barren. It's just not worth it. Making seeds, germinating?
Nah. Too much work.

People never leave their houses. New houses never get built, even if
adjacent land is Kowloon.

> worth it.  They can't get replies back in any reasonable time.  Local

Christopher Columbus's fleet never launched. Because they couldn'get replies
back from them in reasonable time, so America was never settled (and, of course,
it could never have been settled, as it was completely barren, see above).

I think Spike can't possibly exist, so his point can't right. QED.

> communications are so much more valuable than anything they can invest in
> elsewhere that they don't bother.  The closest analogy we have is that the
> overwhelming majority of people today spend more time reading stuff on the
> internet than we do reading Shakespeare.

I hear a rumor (as I never can leave my house, I'm not sure) that
there are 7 gigamonkeys on this planet, and they're not all sitting
on top of each other. There all whole settled continents, purportedly!
And these enterprising primates are even sending hardware outside
of the solar system, where they cannot possible wait long enough
for the data to come in https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Voyager_1