[ExI] Slow thinking

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 3 17:39:49 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl

>...I think Spike can't possibly exist, so his point can't right. QED.  --

HA!  Got you there Gene.  One of those smart cats from a long time ago
commented "I think, therefore I am."  Well sure, but any good Bayesian would
point out that there are other possibilities which arise if we set up a
simple 2x2 matrix, with think/no think on the vertical and I am/I ain't on
the horizontal.  All Decartes is claiming is that he is up in quadrant 1,
and that he is only eliminating one of the quadrants: specifically I think I
ain't.  He still hasn't done anything to deal with the other two, the I
don't think I am, and I don't think I ain't.  He doesn't offer any
commentary about what you be if you don't think.  Or something.

>... New volcanic islands, just emerged from the waves, never get
colonized...

But to your point, colonization does not require communication with the
target star.  Using your analogy, the Europeans did not look for mail or
newspapers from the new world before they set out.  They just went there and
moved in.