[ExI] The twists & turns of politics & idealism (was: The End of the Future)

Amon Zero amon at doctrinezero.com
Fri Oct 7 07:51:55 UTC 2011

2011/10/6 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> Ja, but more specifically, what is it that is being promoted with Occupy?
> That is what I still don’t get.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> About 15 yrs ago, there were a number of anti-capitalism rallies in San
> Jose, not big ones, but they were getting attention.  They had the same
> problem then: down with capitalism, so up with… what?  A number of us
> decided to counter-protest, so we all got out there and carried Up With
> Capitalism signs.  It was a hoot, really a lot of fun.  Several of us showed
> up in our business clothes, so there we were out there in wool suit and tie,
> carrying signs supporting the status quo.****
>
> ** **
>
> I don’t really see the Occupy folks specifically promoting anything.  If
> they want to imprison the top 1% and seize their wealth, suddenly there is a
> new top 1%.  Do they suggest seizing them too?  And then what about the next
> new 1%?  Rinse and repeat?

In a nutshell, I agree with you. I also think this is something like a
re-run of the 90s anti-Cap protests, with exactly the same flaws as you say.
I doubt it's a case that no-one has attempted to concoct realistic goals or
big-picture strategy, but all of the factions that comprise the movement
would never agree on any single conventional ideology or principle. For any
Monty Python fans, this kind of thing always reminds me of the "People's
Front of Judaea" sketch from "Life of Brian".

A complicating factor, I suppose, is that in the facebook age it is also
much easier to get people to show up at events than to develop a
philosophical or strategic framework that people engage with on any explicit
level.

In short, I think their hearts are in the right place, and their anger is
well justified, but I agree - unless a new level of strategy and
organization emerges they will achieve nothing significant.

- A