[ExI] Is Transhumanism Coercive?

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Oct 20 22:51:49 UTC 2011

   Quoting Joseph Bloch <seculartranshumanist at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And while the jury may still be out on the subject I am not
>> sure that the majority of "expert transhumanists" are ready to
>> repudiate it without a second thought.
>
> I'm more than a little worried about this causal bandying about of
> "expert transhumanists" as a phrase. It seems to carry with it the
> implication that those of us without PhD's should just hush up and let
> the experts do all the Big Thinking for us.

   I think Stefano means experts in transhumanist-related arguments,
not "expert transhumanists", per se. Anyway, let's not dismiss PhDs or
those who do not have them. After all, Ronald Baily is not a PhD and
he is one of the most erudite thinker on transhumanist-type topics,
while Don Ihde is a PhD and his thinking on transhumanist topics is
nescient.

   Natasha