[ExI] Destructive uploading.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 13:16:39 UTC 2011

2011/9/3 Florent Berthet <florent.berthet at gmail.com>

> I used to think that continuity of consciousness was obviously important
> for uploading. My reasoning was "if I create a copy of myself, and if I die
> in the process, that is as if I had created a clone of myself that would be
> able to live in exchange for my life. But I don't want my clone to survive,
> I want ME to survive."
>
> So for me, a Star Trek teleporter that disassemble atoms and reassemble
> them in an other place was out of the question, because it would kill the
> "real" me.

Yes. All this message exactly reflects my view on the subject.

And the answer anyway is: let us introduce a cheap, "safe", teleport system
as an alternative to flight transportation. How long would it take for
"continuity" as opposed to "rebirth" to become the accepted truth but for a
few tinfoil-hat ? Two weeks? Two days?

Another story is that of having your brain sliced in order to allow a
machine to be more effective in "pretending" to be you. It is not a factual,
it is a perceptual issue.

Aren't we inclined for that matter to avoid much more banal surgery even
when it is certifiedly painless and less dangerous than inaction?

--
Stefano Vaj