[ExI] 'Militant Atheists' (Was: Religion & transhumanism (not the usual!))

Amon Zero amon at doctrinezero.com
Sun Sep 11 08:31:43 UTC 2011

On 9 September 2011 23:17, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> In English, however, I have the feeling that it might be the other way
> around (even though I understand that there are people self-styling
> as, eg, "feminist militants" or "atheist militants").

I certainly have the same impression. When I hear "activist" I tend to think
of Greenpeace, riot organisers, people actively working to further a cause.
When I hear "militant", even though I understand its literal connotation, I
hear a word that lost its strong meaning somewhere along the line, and now
comes across as having a meaning similar to "aggressive". I not saying this
is in any way a good thing, just an example of drifting language.

- A